Sunday, October 25, 2015

Fruit of the Spirit ~ Goodness

Goodness: moral excellence, virtue, the essence of something or its strength; integrity and honesty.

This week I took some time to reflect on life. To see where I have come from; the goals I have accomplished and looked excitingly toward the future. And in that I realized in order to stick to your goals and remain not only true to God and being a Christian, but also to yourself, you have to maintain your morality. You cannot compromise your integrity or your goodness, and not compromise your future. Goodness in the bible is accounted to ones character, and uprightness in what they believed. To Abraham, his goodness saved him.

   Genesis 15:6
      "And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness."

   Romans 4:2
      "For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God."

Abraham was not saved because of offerings but because he believed in the Lord and His promises to him, and did not compromise his belief because of others. His goodness and morality did not waver. Now this is not to say that men are perfect once they believe. Abraham knew God promised him a child, yet he thought his plan was the way. God brought the Jews into the world through Isaac, not Ishmael. Yet God fulfilled a promise to both sons to become great nations. Abraham compromised his future here, and it changed not only his life but the world.

One's goodness is what maintains them. Their reputation is what people remember of them and reputation can change based on one's moral compass. So the fruit of the spirit is not just telling you to be a "good person" but rather to be upright, virtuous and grounded in God.

The word good is considered a dead word in society. That means we use it to explain beneficial things without true explanation or description. Instead of "That was a good meal" we would substitute with excellent or obedient  for "He is a good child." But the biblical meaning is much more. It is not a dead description or rotten fruit. It is something to strive towards, a standard to obtain. We pray for goodness, and to obtain goodness you need peace and patience.The fruits of the spirit go hand in hand. Goodness is not being perfect. We saw Abraham was not that, but he trusted in God as we should, and he was faithful and true to God.

   Psalm 23
      "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for you are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback; I love opinions.