Sunday, November 22, 2015

Fruit of the Spirit ~ Gentlenes

It has been a while since I could write because of limited internet due to the storm this last week. On the positive side, I was able to spend quality time with myself and the word. I took up coloring this week (yes like a four year old) and it is so relaxing. But to move forward with the fruits of the spirit.

Gentleness: Considerate or kindly in disposition, tender, to make less severe or intense, to soothe.

The past year I have been learning about parenting by watching my cousins three year old little girl. I don't have any kids so each day is an adventure and a learning curve for the both of us. I have come to understand that gentleness is far better for discipline than threats or punishment. Now some of her actions call for more punishment than others but most of the time she is not doing things to be bad, but she is doing them because she doesn't know they are wrong and is learning just like me. We continually learn through our mistakes during life, and sometimes simple advice is all we need to correct our mistakes. The same goes for children. Gentleness and explanations can accomplish more when talking to a toddler than a spanking or time out. Asking "Would you like it if that happened to you?" or explaining that their actions can hurt others can be just as effective.

James 3:17
     "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy."

I believe that Jesus wanted us to do the same. He used parables to offer advice instead of stating what was wrong. He was gentle with His approach and that is what draws people toward Him. Gentleness is another way to love someone. It shows that you genuinely care and are willing to put effort into showing them an alternative way, instead of simply stating what is right and what is wrong. Learning right and wrong is easy, discerning the grey areas are what is difficult. I constantly ask myself, is this the loving way to do something. Not always is it easy, but it is rewarding.

Proverbs 15:1
     "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

Gentleness is the key to a happy relationship with others. You may need love but without gentleness you will not show your love they way Christ displayed His. So ask yourself when giving advice to children and to others, "Is this out of love? Am I being gentle?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave feedback; I love opinions.